You have just accepted the role of directing your church Vacation Bible School. Now what? Where do you begin? Do you feel like you are already behind? Do not fear. Whether you are a first-time director or a seasoned vet, our VBS Planning Timeline will quickly get you on track and keep you on track as your team moves forward, right up to your 2015 VBS!
6-9 Months before your VBS
- Begin praying for your VBS program. You may want to organize a prayer team.
- Choose your dates and time for your VBS. Put them on the church calendar.
- Choose a VBS Director.
- Evaluate the various VBS programs and select a theme that fits your church, your kids.
- Purchase your VBS Starter kit from eChurchDepot and begin planning.
3-6 Months before your VBS
- Set a budget for your VBS program.
- Recruit key leaders – Music, Bible story teacher, Snacks, and Games.
- Plan publicity for your VBS.
- Put together a list of supplies.
- Order your publicity, decorating, and leaders’ manuals and teaching supplies.
- Order in March and April to avoid stock outs or backorders.
2-3 Months before your VBS
- Plan and schedule a staff training to hold 4-6 weeks prior to VBS.
- Begin recruiting additional leaders and support staff.
- Explore your church facilities to determine what areas you will need.
- Estimate your enrollment. Use figures from Sunday school, compared to last year’s VBS.
- Order student supplies if you have not already done so.
8 Weeks before Your VBS
- Begin publicity.
- Publish a list of supplies that you need that church members could donate.
- Plan VBS schedule.
- Review leader, teacher and support staff roster – recruit additional workers if needed.
4-6 Weeks before Your VBS
- Begin pre-registration.
- Hold the scheduled VBS staff training meeting.
- Meet with key leaders.
- Check your registration weekly and order any extra supplies you may need.
1 Week before your VBS
- Dedicate your VBS program and staff during your church service.
- Put together class rosters from your pre-registered kids.
- Decorate your church for VBS.
- Review and check all details: schedule, signs, supplies, etc.
- Assign a place and time for all VBS staff to meet for prayer before each day of VBS.
- Pray for God to move in the hearts of your children.
- Check with key leaders each day to see how things went and if there are any needs.
- Have FUN!
Everest, from Group Publishing
Thailand Trek, the new Cross Cultural VBS from Group
Bible Blast to the Past, from Standard Publishing
SonSpark Labs, from Gospel Light
Camp Discovery, from Concordia
Camp Kilimanjaro, from Answers in Genesis
G-Force Adventure Park, from Cokesbury
To the Edge, from Regular Baptist Press
Hometown Nazareth, from Group