For many years now, dinosaurs have been a mystery to most Christians because of the influence of evolutionary thinking in our culture and churches. In reality, dinosaurs have been one of the primary baits the enemy has used to trap generations of kids into doubting the Word of God. But when we start with the Bible and build our thinking on God’s Word, we have answers even about dinosaurs!
Answers in Genesis uses the “7 F’s” to summarize dinosaurs from a biblical perspective.
- Formed– The Bible states clearly that land animals were created on Day Six of Creation Week. Therefore, dinosaurs (land animals by definition) were formed on day six.
- Fearless– God’s initial creation was “very good.” There was no death, suffering, or disease. Originally, everything was vegetarian and there was no fear between animals and man.
- Fallen– But then that all changed. Man sinned bringing death and suffering into this world, and all of creation was affected (Romans 8:22). At that point, it is likely that the diets of many animals changed. After the flood God put the fear of man into all the animals.
- Flood– The global, catastrophic flood of Noah’s day killed all dinosaurs not on the Ark and buried many of their remains in rock layers all around the world. (Dinosaurs on the Ark!? Absolutely! There are only about 50 dinosaur kinds, and all dinosaurs started off small because they hatch from eggs.) This is confirmed by the numerous samples of soft tissue discovered in dinosaur bones. At most, these tissues would only last thousands of years after the dinosaur’s death.
- Faded– After the Flood, dinosaurs populated certain areas and lived with man for quite a while. This is firmly attested to by the thousands of images and writings of cultures worldwide that clearly depict dinosaurs. Bear in mind that the word “dinosaur” is a new word. It was invented in 1841 by Sir Richard Owen and wasn’t used much until the early 1900s. Before that time dinosaurs were known as dragons. But the post Flood world provided challenges to survival the dinosaurs could not—handle it was a wrecked world (Genesis 6:13) with genetic bottlenecks, a post-Flood Ice Age, man hunting them, etc. As a result, the dragons, later renamed dinosaurs, faded away until all that was left were the legends that grew more fanciful as they were passed from one generation to the next in different cultures.
- Found– Dinosaurs were rediscovered in the 1800s and were renamed by Sir Richard Owen. (Actually, the first man to “discover” a dinosaur was Adam.)
- Fiction– Since their rediscovery, there has been quite a bit of fabrication as to where dinosaurs came from and where they went. Most of this fiction has to do with evolutionary ideas and millions of years.