Self Pity is one of the greatest sources of unhappiness. On the other hand one of the greatest sources of happiness is in helping other people.
We all have problems we are dealing with. If we stay focused on our problems we can become depressed.When we shift our focus to helping others it not only helps them but our problems become smaller.
Kids are naturally self-centered. They tend to see the world from their point of view. This is why seemingly minor things can become a big deal to kids.
As parents and teachers there are things we can do to motivate our kids to think about serving others.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Stop complaining about the chores you have to do.
2. Surprise your parents by washing the dishes.
3. Help your brother or sister make their bed.
4. Help your friend with their homework.
5. Make a choice to be nice to the new kid at school.
6. Stand up for the kid that is being bullied.
7. Sing songs at the local nursing home.
8. Serve in a ministry at church.
9. Bring in the neighbors trashcans.
10. Offer to take your neighbors dog for a walk.
11. Put some of your allowance in the offering at church.
12. Say kind words to you sister such as, “You’re nice”.
13. Give away your Christmas presents once a year.
14. Draw a picture for grandma.
15. Forgive the kid that was mean to you.
- The list is endless as the needs are endless.
- After making some of your suggestions, ask your kids for their suggestions. People have more of a tendency to follow through when the activity is their idea.
What are some activities you have done to teach kids about serving others?