If you are in ministry either full time, part time or even volunteer it can be very easy to get carried away with what we are doing in the church and forget about our responsibilities in our own homes. Hopefully if you are involved in ministry then you are passionate about what is happening in peoples lives. This is a driving force in my life. I want to see peoples lives genuinely changed towards a lifestyle that revolves around a relationship with Jesus Christ. It is easy to say that is a major motivator for me.
But what about my family? I have a wife, 4 kids, many extended family. I have responsibilities to them that actually come first…BEFORE my ministry at the church. If your family has ever told you that they feel like they are second fiddle to your ministry you may be doing one of these things.
- You tell them it’s more important.
- You tell others it’s more important.
- You don’t take a day off.
- You respond to emails and texts during designated family time.
- All you talk about at home is stuff happening at church.
- You regularly miss major events in your family because of church stuff.
- You don’t adhere to your regular set office hours.
- You don’t use all of your vacation time.
- You use vacation time to get away so you can catch up on your to do list.
If you are guilty of any of these and your family is complaining that they don’t get enough time from you then I would highly suggest that you make some changes! Family first!!!