Children’s ministry and love go hand in hand. Showing this love to the children should be something which is obvious for all to see, but today, I thought I’d take a minute to write about my top five ways to show love to the children in our ministries!
- Tell them regularly about Jesus’ love for them. There is nothing more important for anyone to know in their lifetime, so telling children about how very much Jesus loves them definitely shows them love!
- Hugs, Pats on the Back and High-Fives! Of course with the concerns about child safety, hugs need to be side hugs and only in the presence of others, but a pat on the back or high five are additional great ways we can show love to the children in our ministries!
- Greeting with a smile and a twinkle in our eyes and saying their names – we want the children in our ministries to know we are always so happy to see them and we know their names!
- Giving them our full attention. We need to put aside what we are doing – unless we truly can not and then do so as soon as possible – to listen to what the children want to tell us. We want them to know we are interested in the things they are interested in and want to hear whatever it is they want to tell us. True, many of these things are not “earth-shattering”, but if children want to tell us something, we need to want to listen.
- Say it. We tell them we love them. Of course, again, keep this appropriate and in the bounds of our child safety policies, but the children in our ministries need to know – and hear they are loved.