I have been on staff in the church world for quite some time now. It always amazes me how many church leaders put a ton of energy into things that don’t really matter and they skip what does matter. Children’s Ministry is one of the MOST integral parts of a church. If you show me a healthy Children’s Ministry, I will show you a church that is functioning at their max potential…Show me an unhealthy Children’s Ministry and I will show you a church that is struggling. Here are a list of the top 5 misconceptions church leaders have about Children’s Ministry:
- Kids don’t give much money so we shouldn’t give the program much money. WRONG! Kids might not give a lot of money but they have parents and grandparents who do. Plus there are all those volunteers that love kids that give in your church. Besides that, the kid that gives 25 cents in the offering probably gave way more than 10% of what they made…whats that say about their faith and their heart (which is what Jesus says really matters when you give…not the amount)
- Kids are smaller so they don’t need as much space as adults. WRONG! Kids are moving and active. When adults come to church they sit in one seat during the majority of the service. Kids move around, they play games, they go to different stations and groups. In my estimation, kids need double to even triple the amount of space as an adult needs.
- Kids only represent 25% of our church or less. WRONG AGAIN! What you do for kids in your church has a much greater reach than only 25% (depending on your church). figure a church of 400 that has 100 kids in it…studies show an average family of 4 or so right? So 100 kids represents approximately 50 parents. Now you are up to a reach of 150. Add your volunteers into that mix (every other week serving is average in most churches) at a 1:2 ratio you just added another 100 people…now you are up to 250. That’s 50% of your attendance directly connected to kids. Interesting huh? Many churches this percentage is even higher depending on your culture and demographic.
- Children’s Ministry is childcare. If you believe this then you shouldn’t be in ministry… Children are the most moldable, easy to develop and willing group in your church. If you aren’t taking time to invest in them then you are missing one of the greatest opportunities God has given you.
- Children are the church of tomorrow. You may make a statement like this to encourage your church to invest in children but your statement is incorrect…Children are the church of TODAY. Saying that they are the church of tomorrow insinuates that there are things we should be investing in before we take on the needs of our children.
There is no department in your church that will draw more people than your Children’s Ministry. There is also no department in your church that will cause people to leave or sue than your children’s ministry. If kids haven’t been a priority in your churches space, budget, and staffing then you need to seriously rethink your strategy because kids are one of the most important assets to society today. If you don’t reach them, someone else will.