It is important to pray for the child of divorce. Children’s ministers can be a major player in a child’s life by being an intercessory prayer partner. Many times though, we don’t know how to pray or what to pray for when interceding for the child of divorce.
Here are 10 ways to pray for children in your ministry whose parents are divorcing:
- Pray for the child’s state of confusion. Children of divorce live in a confused state for a long time after their parents separate. This happens mainly because no one is talking to the child about what is happening.
- Pray for their feelings of safety. Almost every child of divorce doesn’t feel safe at least part of the time after one of their parents move out of the home.
- Pray for the child to realize the divorce is not their fault and is between two adults.
- Pray for the child’s comfort as he/she travels back and forth between homes. Realize that every time a child says “hello” to one parent, they have to say “good bye” to the other parent.
- Pray for communication between the child and each parent. Because the parents are on stress overload many times unknowingly they don’t listen to their child or they retreat to their bedrooms to be alone and think.
- Pray for the child’s schoolwork as it usually suffers because the child can’t concentrate or focus on studies or homework when their family is falling apart.
- Pray for peace. Many children feel they are living in a war zone. They need the peace of Christ to fill their lives.
- Pray for connections at church to be maintained and new connections created.
- Pray for each parent to hear the call of God on their lives.
- Pray for the child to come to a realization that there is a Father who will never leave them or forsake them.
How do you pray for the child of divorce?