Ok – no Awana for 2 weeks – what will you ever do with yourself?
You’re probably thinking: Seriously? I have lists and lists of things to do.
We understand, but here are some ideas you might want to add to your list.
- Relax. Recharge your energy for a new year of club.
- Pray for the kids. As you sit in your peaceful and welcoming (or at least somewhat peaceful and welcoming) house, some of the kids with whom you work are swept up in a chaotic quagmire. Christmas is not a time of joy, just more days of the same old, same old mess. Pray that they’ll know God’s peace in their lives in spite of their surroundings. Pray that they’ll recall truths they’ve been taught at club this year and apply them to their lives.
- Organize the second half of the year. Do you have your Large Group lessons schedule? Awards night speaker or program planned? Some exciting theme nights coming up? Here’s the time to plan. Even an hour or two of concentrated effort will save you some last minute hassle later.
- Browse your local library. Any good books on object lessons or science experiments that you could incorporate into your lessons? Choose a couple and go ahead and get what you’ll need so you’ll be ready.
- Send a quick email to your co-leaders/director/commander.Thank them for being who they are and their love for the kids. Commend them on something specific they’ve done well.
- Research your next lesson. That Bible character or verse you’ve always wanted to teach, but felt you needed more preparation? Here’s your opportunity to spend that extra time and get it ready.
- Look over the Awana website. Lots of resources on there for leaders and lots of information about Awana both here and in other countries.
- Do you have a cousin who is a leader somewhere across the country? A friend whose kids attend Awana in Canada? Is the church where you grew up starting Awana? Why not make a connection and become “sister” clubs? You could share ideas about contests, theme nights and other unique events.
- Send a Christmas card to your Awana missionary. Thank your missionary for all he/she does during the year. Invite him/her to speak at your club.
- Thank the Lord for the privilege you have of working with young kids and teaching them about the Bible.