It might seem harsh, but sometimes we are just downright stupid! Why do we do things that will hurt us, those around us & our ministries?
I don’t know, but over & over I’ve seen myself & others do these things:
- Try and do everything myself ( = burnout & attitude issues) .
- Beg for volunteers ( = not taking the time or energy to clarify a compelling vision that will draw people to my ministry) .
- Don’t equip (train) volunteers properly ( = low quality ministry, also known as childcare) .
- Discount the value of developing leaders ( = limited ministry potential) .
- Never encourage my team ( = high turnover & bad morale) .
- Don’t connect my ministry to families ( = what happens at church stays at church) .
- Neglect the equipping of parents ( = arrogance of thinking I am the primary spiritual investor in children’s lives) .
- Speak poorly of church leaders instead of handling issues properly ( = being “that” person that causes the most damage in my own ministry) .
- Place my ministry over my family ( = very misaligned priorities that will lead to significant regret) .
- Disregard my own spiritual formation ( = perfect formula for personal & corporate failure in ministry)